Pages

Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Advent 1 - November 29, 2015

Advent 1   


"Be alert at all times, praying that you may have the strength to escape all these things that will take place, and to stand before the Son of Man."  --Luke 21:36  (NRSV)

MEDITATIVE READING                                      Gospel of Thomas 18 (ANNT)
His followers said to Jesus, "Tell us how our end will be."
Jesus said, "Have you discovered the beginning, that you ask about the end? For, in the place where the beginning is, there the end will be. Blessed is the one who takes a stand in the beginning. That one will know the end, and will not experience death."

CALL TO WORSHIP (Psalm 122:1-2 and Odes of Solomon 36)
Leader: I was glad when they said to me, “Let us go to the house of the Lord!”
People: And now here we are, standing inside your presence, O Foundation of Peace!
Leader: I rested on the Spirit of the Lord,
People: and She raised me up on high;
Leader: And caused me to stand on my feet
People: in the high place of the Lord,
ALL: She gave birth to me before the face of the Lord,
Leader: And while I was the Child of Humanity,
People: I was called the Light, the Child of God;
Leader: And my mouth was opened like a cloud of dew,
People: And my heart gushed forth a fountain of justice.
Leader: And my approach was in peace,
People: And I was established in the Spirit of Instruction.
ALL: Hallelujah.

PRAYER OF CONFESSION (Psalm 25:1-10)
Leader: Let us lift up our souls to the Lord and put our trust in God.
No one who looks to the Lord will be put to shame. Let us pray.
ALL: Show me your ways, O Lord, and teach me your paths.
Lead me in your truth and teach me, for you are the God of my salvation.
Remember, O Lord, your compassion and love, for they are from everlasting.
Remember not the sins of my youth and my transgressions;
remember me according to your love and for the sake of your goodness, O Lord.
(silent prayer)
Leader: Gracious and upright are you, O Lord; therefore you teach sinners in your way.
ALL: You guide the humble in doing right and teach your way to the lowly.  All your paths, O Lord, are love and faithfulness to those who keep your covenant and your testimonies. Amen.

Additional Music:  "Higher Ground" (Iris Dement/traditional)

"I Rested on the Spirit of the Lord (Ode 36)" Jeff Macaré The Odes of Solomon, Vol. 2

No comments:

Post a Comment